Last week we still didn't get round to buttonholes. We did buttons though. I never thought there could be so much to learn about sewing on a button :) The best tip was to use a cocktail stick for spacing.
When you sew a button on, you need to leave some slack thread so that the fabric with the buttonhole in will fit nicely when the button is fastened, and the thread won't be stretched.
This week we started to draw up a basic pattern. There was maths, there were set squares, and there were pieces of paper so big I had to work on the floor because they wouldn't fit on the table. It was all a bit scary to begin with, but it started to make sense towards the end of the lesson. Next week is half term, so no college, but I have plenty of homework to be getting on with. I've also started to make another boob tube dress, with the idea that I'll wear it to my works Christmas do.
The fabric is a lovely stretchy cotton with grey, pink and green stripes. Unfortunately it's not quite stretchy enough, and so I've had to make the top bigger to accommodate my boobs, which leaves a bit of bagginess around the waist area. I'm thinking some kind of ribbony lacing at the back might work to help shape it up, but I'm not sure about all the technicalities.... I'll let you know how it turns out :)