Wednesday 2 September 2009

Matchy mommy and matchy munchkin

My local Asda has inexplicably started reducing bits of clothing to £1 and putting them on a little rail next to the 'Travelator'. Most of it is useless - bikini bottoms with no tops, or huuuuuge bras*, but there have been a few star finds.

A few weeks ago there were two sun dresses made from lovely cotton, one a size 22 and the other size 24. 'No problem' I thought, 'All the more fabric to play with!' Here's dress No. 1 in its original state:

And here's the top I made for me:



I cut it a little too short initially, so I added a band at the bottom to lengthen it a bit:

Here's the back:


The elasticated bit was already in the dress, which gave the top a nice shape around the chest and then made it a bit smocky as it widened out.
And here's the skirt I made for Munchkin:

This was so easy. All the hard work was done, as I used the bottom of the dress as the bottom of the skirt. I just sewed up the side, made a casing at the top and popped my elastic in. And I still have some fabric left over! Enough to make another Munchkin skirt, although she doesn't really need two.... maybe I'll make it and run a giveaway.


I still have to tackle dress No. 2, which is a lovely sage green colour. It's just a shame it's now autumn and I'm going to have to wear chunky big cardigans over my new sun tops :)
*Ok, maybe these things would be useful to people who don't mind topless sunbathing, or who have huuuuuge bosoms.

2 comments:

  1. I've got huge bosoms so you could send them to me!

    Love, love, love those recons, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall think of you when I'm at the bottom of the travelator :)

    ReplyDelete